Dr. Patrice Salzenstein speaks French (mother tongue), English and Russian fluently. He obtained his Master degree and material science engineering diploma at EUDIL in Lille (France) in 1993, and his PhD Doctorate in Electronics at the University of Sciences and Technologies of Lille (France) in 1996. Between 1996 and 2001 he worked near Paris, France, at Thomson CSF LCR (now Thales-TRT), Alcatel Alsthom Recherche, LCIE private research laboratories. He managed a calibration laboratory (phase noise and short term stability of frequency) between 2002 and the beginning of 2012. He has been working since 2001 at FEMTO-ST institute in Besancon for CNRS, a government-funded research organization under administrative authority of France's Ministry of research. In 2010, one of his articles was featured in Electronics Letters for his participation with Czech and Swiss colleagues to the best frequency stability ever measured on a quartz crystal oscillator: 2.5×10-14 at 5 MHz. He is currently involved in research for optoelectronic resonators and oscillators for microwaves photonics applications.
Current research activities
- Optoelectronic oscillators based on Whispering gallery mode resonators: At FEMTO-ST, I lead the project "Optical Resonators and their applications" (ORA) for which Patrice Féron, Professor at University of Rennes 1 and researcher at FOTON is the project leader (see link). I am also involved in the CNES project "shyro" (Project leader at FEMTO-ST: Dr. Yanne Chembo, CNRS senior researcher).
- Phase noise optoelectronic metrology: Phase noise system operating in X-band (8.2-12.4 GHz) using a photonic delay line as a frequency discriminator is a good solution to perform ultra low noise measurements. Phase noise floor can be better than -90 and -170 dBc/Hz including 2 km delay lines respectively at 10^1 and 10^4 Hz from a 10 GHz carrier. Uncertainty is estimated to be better than 2 dB. see link
- Phase noise metrology for quartz oscillators: With Czech and Swiss colleagues, I contributed to the best frequency stability ever measured on a quartz crystal oscillator: 2.5×10−14 at 5 MHz. An article was featured in Electronics Letters in 2010. see link
- Interested in other subjects of researches such as holography, interference and wave propagation, electromagnetism, physics, seismology, technology etc. Skills and experience in technology in clean room, materials, microwaves.
For more information about these researches, your are invited to read the corresponding publications.
Links to these papers are available in the biography mentioned below.
Preliminary remark : for legal reasons, by dowloading an article in PDF format from this page, you certify that you are allowed and you have the right to do it. If not, please dowload the corresponding articles from the link provided by the doi.
Recent publications : Articles and letters in peer review journals published since 2010:
- Salzenstein P., Wu T. Y., "Uncertainty analysis for a phase-detector based phase noise measurement system," Measurement 85, 118–123 (2016). (doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2016.02.026) © 2016 Elsevier (PDF)
- Salzenstein P., "Recent progress in the performances of ultrastable Quartz resonators and oscillators" Int. J. for Sim. and Mult. Design Optimization 7, A8 (6) (2016). (doi:10.1051/smdo/2016014) (PDF)
- Saleh, K., Henriet, R., Diallo, S., Lin, G., Martinenghi, R., Balakireva, I. V., Salzenstein, P., Coillet, A., Chembo, Y. K., "Phase noise performance comparison between optoelectronic oscillators based on optical delay lines and whispering gallery mode resonators," Optics Express, 22(26), 32158-32173 (2014). (doi:10.1364/OE.22.032158) ©2014 Optical Society of America
- Henriet, R., Salzenstein, P., Ristic, D., Coillet, A., Mortier, M., Rasoloniaina, A., Saleh, K., Cibiel, G., Dumeige, Y., Ferrari, M., Chembo, Y. K., Llopis, O., Féron, P., "High quality factor optical resonators," Physica Scripta, T162, 014032 (2014). (doi:10.1088/0031-8949/2014/T162/014032) ©2014 IOP (PDF)
- Salzenstein P., Voloshinov V. B. and Trushin A. S., "Investigation in acousto-optic laser stabilization for crystal resonator based optoelectronic oscillators," Optical Engineering, 52(2), 024603 (2013). (doi:10.1117/1.OE.52.2.024603) © 2013 SPIE (PDF)
- Coillet A., Henriet H., Salzenstein P., Phan Huy K., Larger L. and Chembo Y. K., "Time-domain Dynamics and Stability Analysis of Optoelectronic Oscillators based on Whispering-Gallery Mode Resonators," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 19(5), 6000112 (2013). (doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2013.2252152) ©2013 IEEE International (PDF)
- Salzenstein P., Mortier M., Sérier-Brault H., Henriet R., Coillet A., Chembo Y. K., Rasoloniaina A., Dumeige Y., Féron P., "Coupling of high quality factor optical resonators," Physica Scripta, T157, 014024 (2013). (doi:10.1088/0031-8949/2013/T157/014024) ©2013 IOP (PDF)
- Sthal F., Imbaud J., Vacheret X., Salzenstein P., Cibiel G. and Galliou S., "Computation method for the short-term stability of quartz crystal resonators obtained from passive phase noise measures," IEEE Trans. on UFFC, 60(7), 1530–1532 (2013). (doi:10.1109/TUFFC.2013.2725) ©2013 IEEE International
- Salzenstein P., Cholley N., Kuna A., Abbé P., Lardet-Vieudrin F., Sojdr L. and Chauvin J., "Distributed amplified ultra-stable signal quartz oscillator based," Measurement, 45(7), 1937–1939 (2012). (doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2012.03.035) © 2012 Elsevier (PDF)
- Salzenstein P., Pavlyuchenko E., Hmima A., Cholley N., Zarubin M., Galliou S., Chembo Y. K. and Larger L., "Estimation of the uncertainty for a phase noise optoelectronic metrology system," Physica Scripta, 2012(T149), 014025 (2012). (doi:10.1088/0031-8949/2012/T149/014025) © 2012 IOP (PDF)
- Tavernier H., Salzenstein P., Volyanskiy K., Chembo Y. K. and Larger L., "Magnesium Fluoride Whispering Gallery Mode Disk-Resonators for Microwave Photonics Applications," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 15th November 2010, 22(22), 1629-1631 (2010). (doi: 10.1109/LPT.2010.2075923) ©2010 IEEE International (PDF)
- Salzenstein P., Kuna A., Sojdr L. and Chauvin J., "Significant step in ultra high stability quartz crystal oscillators," Electronics Letters, 14th October 2010, 46(21), 1433–1434, (2010). (doi: 10.1049/el.2010.1828) ©2010 IET (PDF) + featured in Electronics Letters: "Dropping thtough the floor" (PDF) – Highlighted by CNRS INSIS
- Volyanskiy K., Salzenstein P., Tavernier H., Pogurmirskiy M., Chembo Y. K. and Larger L., "Compact Optoelectronic Microwave Oscillators using Ultra-High Q Whispering Gallery Mode Disk-Resonators and Phase Modulation," Optics Express, 11th October 2010, 18(21), 22358-22363 (2010). (doi: 10.1364/OE.18.022358) ©2010 Optical Society of America
- Salzenstein P., Kuna A., Sojdr L., Sthal F., Cholley N. and Lefebvre F., "Frequency stability measurements of ultra-stable BVA resonators and oscillators," Electronics Letters, 13th May 2010, 46(10), 686-688 (2010). (doi:10.1049/el.2010.0941) ©2010 IET
- Kuna A., Cermak J., Sojdr L., Salzenstein P., Lefebvre F., "Lowest Flicker-Frequency Floor Measured on BVA Oscillators," IEEE Trans. on UFFC, 57(3), 548-551 (2010) (doi:10.1109/TUFFC.2010.1446). ©2010 IEEE International (PDF)